Monday 9 April 2012

Robot Wars - Steam Punk Style!

Following the arrival of the two player starter box last week I couldn't wait to try out the paint scheme for the the two factions.

I guessed that the Menoth, being white based, would be the trickiest to paint. The suggestions in the starter set use the P3 paint names but it is fairly straightforward to work out alternatives. My only suggestion would have been to show the models from front and back rather than the one picture of each stage. For someone who is new to Warmachine I wasn't sure how to paint the backs of the models. A very minor gripe I know and hardly worth mentioning.

I used elfic flesh for the off white colour and white for the highlights with ghost grey for the depth shading. The trouble I have with white is the brush strokes that are left behind. If you look close at the Canopy on the front of the model you will see some. To counter act this I watered down the white and then painted three layers. More time consuming but a much better finish. I have since ordered the Menoth base and highlight paints to see how an alternative paint brand covers the same area.




Next I moved onto Khador. Using Blood Red, many layers, I obtained a good covering with little evidence of brush strokes.




I recently bought some of Vallejo's alcohol based gold shown below. I find that the best metallics for painting are the Air paints. The 'flecks' in the paint are smoother and more realistic. The gold in this range is not gold though rather a slightly yellow tinted silver. On the models above I gave a coating of Brassy Brass' followed by a covering of this new gold. The outcome is shown on the models above. 




1 comment:

  1. Lovely looking models, great paint job - for a mortal ;)

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete